Tuesday, August 30, 2016

What Shouldn't You Buy at a Thrift Store?

   As part of a sustainable lifestyle on your homestead, it certainly makes sense to recycle and reuse things wherever possible. This helps minimize your environmental footprint, but it also helps reduce your dependency on many other sources to provide for your needs. Many people find that thrift stores are a nice way to both raise some extra money by selling things their family no longer needs, but also to provide a low cost, local alternative for goods that you do need. 
   Unfortunately, there are specific products or items that simply are not worth buying at a thrift store. It may involve the increased likelyhood of wasting your money, or potential health or other problems, or even just putting your family members at risk! Before you purchase that "good deal", see if it is on the list of things that you should not buy at a thrift store.



   SixDollarFamily offers the following:

   "I don’t know about you, but I love thrift stores. Second hand shopping is one of my favorite ways to save and while I don’t want to toot my own horn? I’m quite good at those thrift store shopping marathons you sometimes hear about. (Heh) Finding a great deal at the thrift stores is always awesome and any good bargain hunter knows the value of a good second hand store. Not every deal that you find used is a good one though. In fact, there are quite a few that you wouldn’t want to grab. There’s nothing worse than getting a bad deal. We’ve all been there but knowing which items that should be bought used and which items that you should never buy used can go a long way to protecting you and your money as a buyer.

   Please don’t misunderstand the meaning behind this post. I’m not by any means telling you not to go thrift store shopping. Quite the opposite actually as I think there are also items you should never buy new. Thrift store shopping is one of my favorite things to do both offline and online. I’m constantly cruising my favorite online consignment stores and I hit the local second hand shops at least twice a month. I find amazing deals like the cast iron skillet that I picked up a few weeks ago for $6.00. It only needed to be cleaned and re-seasoned. I’m quite familiar with how to season a cast iron skillet so I grabbed it and brought it home.

   The reason you shouldn’t buy these items used vary. I’ll explain each one but they all fall under the category of unsafe, unwise or too risky. Saving money is great, but not when it comes with a risk like these items all have. If you buy used and end up having to replace it quicker or worse, you’re only spending more money in the long run. This means that for some items, it’s much better to buy new than to grab that “deal” that you saw when you were thrift store shopping at the second hand stores last week."



No comments:

Post a Comment